Saturday, November 12, 2005

National Arboretum Walk

This afternoon I did my usual circuit around the National Arboretum. There is not much to report from today because the bird activity was fairly minimal except for a small pocket with a few individuals here and there. The foliage, however, was beautiful, and the weather was perfect for enjoying it.

The red-breasted nuthatches were still present in the conifers on Hickey Hill. Today they were more easily heard than seen, especially since the sun was making it difficult to scan the treetops. I believe I am starting to recognize the difference between the red-breasted and white-breasted nuthatch calls, though not well enough to explain it yet.

Odd note of the day: Down by the river I heard a call that I could have sworn was coming from a red-tailed hawk, but it turned out to be some blue jays. I think this is the first time I have noticed their mimicry in action.

SPECIES SEEN: 26

Great Blue Heron
Canada Goose
Mallard
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Ring-billed Gull
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Northern Mockingbird
American Robin
Carolina Chickadee
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch
Blue Jay
American Crow
Fish Crow
European Starling
House Sparrow
American Goldfinch
Eastern Towhee
Song Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal