Sunday, September 05, 2010

Dead or Alive

When I came across this Hummingbird Clearwing (Hemaris thysbe) at Rutgers Gardens yesterday, I thought it was just perched. This is not how I usually see clearwing moths – usually they are on the wing – but I figured that it was sunning itself on a cool morning. As I looked closer, and moved in close with my camera, the moth remained perfectly motionless. So I began to wonder if it was actually alive or if it had died in that position and was left clinging to the dried flower head. Since I did not want to disturb it if it actually was alive, I never got an answer to that question.

There was no such question about this female Sachem, which was flying from flower to flower and nectaring. Quite a lot of Sachems were active in the display garden.

Finally, here is a bit of waterlily eye candy.