Saturday, February 07, 2009

Saturday Post: Travel and Bird Surveys

I will be out of town for the weekend (Cape May), so posting may be spotty. If posting on the blog proves impossible I will try to update my Twitter feed occasionally. Regular updates should appear in the right sidebar for those who do not use that service.

Meanwhile, this weekend is the start of the week-long Rusty Blackbird Blitz. This species is in serious trouble, but conservationists need more information about their winter habitats and behaviors to protect these formerly-common birds. I am going to try to make at least one stop in good Rusty Blackbird territory, and I encourage readers to do so as well. See the link for details about the survey protocol.

Also, the Great Backyard Bird Count is coming up in just one week. Whether you choose to travel during the long weekend or stay at home, try to participate.